Univ.-Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Thomas Seidl
Fields of activity
Research Topics - Forschungsgebiete
- Data Mining: Subspace Clustering, Outlier Detection, Stream Data Mining, Anytime Mining Algorithms, Visual Data Mining.
- Database Technology: Similarity Search, Content-based Multimedia Retrieval, Relational Indexing, Energy Efficiency in Mobile Databases.
Organization of Scientific Events
- BTW 2015, Hamburg, Germany (PC chair)
- LWA 2014, Aachen, Germany (general chair)
- KDML at LWA 2013, Bamberg, Germany (PC co-chair)
- SSTD 2013, Munich, Germany (publicity co-chair)
- MultiClust at SDM 2012, Anaheim, California (co-organizer)
- MultiClust at ECML PKDD 2011, Athens, Greece (co-organizer)
- SSTD 2009, Aalborg, Denmark (PC co-chair)
- BTW 2007, Aachen, Germany (general co-chair)
- NiLOP at NiSIS 2007, St. Julians, Malta (co-organizer)
Memberships in Program Committees (peer reviews for full papers)
- BTW (GI) - 2015 (PC chair), 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007 (General co-chair)
- CIKM (ACM) - 2014, 2012 (Senior PC)
- DASFAA - 2014, 2006
- ECML PKDD - 2014 (area chair), 2013, 2012, 2011
- EDBT - 2015, 2013, 2012 (demos), 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2002
- ICDE (IEEE) - 2014, 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005 (demos), 2002
- KDD (ACM) - 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2005, 2004
- MDM (IEEE) - 2012
- PAKDD - 2012, 2011
- SDM (SIAM) - 2011, 2010
- SIGMOD (ACM) - 2014 (tutorials), 2013 (Area Chair), 2007, 2006, 2004
- SISAP - 2014
- SSDBM - 2012, 2010
- SSTD - 2011, 2009 (PC co-chair)
- VAST (IEEE) - 2013
- VLDB - 2006, 2005
- Workshops: DBRank 2011, StreamKDD 2010, MultiClust 2010, VISIM 2001, IWOSS 1999
Reviewing for journals
- ACM TODS, VLDB Journal, IEEE TKDE, IEEE TPAMI, DAMI/DMKD, Data Knowl. Eng., KAIS, IEEE TVCG, IPL, Information Systems
- Best Paper Award in Data Mining at ECML PKDD 2011
- Best Demo Award (First Runner Up) at DASFAA 2012
- Outstanding Reviewer Award of IEEE ICDE 2010
- Associate Editor of The VLDB Journal (2009-2015)
- Action Editor of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (2013-)
- Scientific Advisory Board of the ArchaeoBioCenter at the University of Munich
- Scientific Advisory Board of the WallViz Project at U Copenhagen and U Aarhus, Denmark
- Leitungsgremium des GI-Fachbereichs "Datenbanken und Informationssysteme" (DBIS)
- Leitungsgremium der GI-Fachgruppe "Knowledge Discovery, Data Mining und Maschinelles Lernen" (KDML)
- SSTD Endowment
- ACM SIGMOD and ACM SIGKDD
- GI - Gesellschaft für Informatik
- REGINA (Regional Industry Club Informatics Aachen)
Miscellaneous (degrees, former affiliations, etc.)
Thomas Seidl is a professor for computer science and head of the data management and data exploration group at RWTH Aachen University, Germany. His research interests include data mining and database technology for multimedia and spatio-temporal databases in engineering, communication and life science applications. Prof. Seidl received his Diplom (MSc) in 1992 from TU Muenchen and his PhD (1997) and venia legendi (2001) from LMU Muenchen.
- 2002-, RWTH Aachen University: Full professor and head of the new Department for Computer Science 9 (Data Management and Data Exploration).
- 2001-2002, University of Constance: Substitute professor and head of the Department for Databases, Data Mining and Visualization.
- 2001, University of Augsburg: Guest lecturer at the Department of Computer Science.
- 1998-2002, University of Munich (LMU): Assistant professor at the Department of Computer Science with Prof. Kriegel (Database Group); Venia legendi for Computer Science in 2001.
- 1993-1998, University of Munich (LMU): Research and teaching assistant at the Department of Computer Science with Prof. Kriegel (Database Group); Dr. rer. nat. (PhD) in 1997.
- 1987-1992, Technische Universität München (TUM): Study of Computer Science, MS thesis in databases with Prof. Bayer; Diplom (MSc) in 1992.
- [DBLP Trier]
- [Google Scholar Citations]: My h-index is at least 30 (Dec 8, 2013)
- [MS Academic Search]:
- [Data Mining, last 5 years]: Rank 27 of 39.296 authors in data mining (Dec 8, 2013)
- [Databases, last 5 years]: Rank 56 of 51.854 authors in databases (Dec 8, 2013)
- [ACM Authorizer]